How do you plan to eat Thanksgiving Day? Are you going to throw out caution and go for the binge day of all time? If so, how will you feel on Black Friday? Will you be too sick and bloated to shop or do you sleep it off during the football game?
One way I used to eat Thanksgiving was skip breakfast, eat all and everything I wanted for the grand Thanksgiving meal, and then eat some more into the night until I passed out in the Lazy boy, and waddled off to bed. Have you ever done that?
Do you start out Thanksgiving Day with good intentions at being thankful and making a “thankful” list, but before the day is over you’ve put your face in the feeding trough only to come up for air between bites? We forget about thankfulness and get all excited over the food. Yep, maybe Thanksgiving should be officially called “National Binge Day.” Do you agree?
Do you know how to break this pattern of binge eating? I never could, never did. But then I found the answer. There are seven ways to eat Thanksgiving Day.
1.First, go to God for a weight loss counseling session before starting your day. Tell Him of your eating plans and ask His advice. Yes, He’ll tell you what to do if you listen.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given you. James 1:5
2. Expect to receive an answer. A lot of time we pray seeking an answer and then go about in our own wisdom without waiting to hear from God.
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21
3. Since I’m living in weight loss maintenance (For over a year now-for the first time in my life- all my past diets never lasted this long.), I tend to eat on automatic. Do you eat on automatic? If we seek God first, and listen, then He will let us know when to stop eating, when enough is enough. Your challenge will be to listen in faith, expecting your answer.
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. James 1:6-7
4. Do what He tells you. Are you listening in your spirit, or going forth in your head knowledge? A lot of time we go forth in what we know, but guess what? We don’t know everything, He does. He knows what will help you lose weight. He knows what will bring you the victory you’ve been seeking.
Let go of all educated ideas you have been taught about losing weight. Has any of them worked for you up to now? They never did for me and I tried for 42 years to lose weight. It was only through going to God, listening for His guidance, and doing what He said that led me to this weight loss of 93 pounds gone forever.
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22 (Do what He speaks to your spirit heart.-paraphrases mine.)
5. If your food program is clean eating, then follow it, and end your day in victory. If God has given you permission to eat a little sweet (like He has me), then do so without guilt. In the past when I blew my diet, it always led to a major blowout binge. Have you ever done that? Sometimes it’s better to give yourself permission for a little sweet, than it is to overeat everything else when all you wanted was a little sweet. You can still eat Thanksgiving and keep your victory.
Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. Romans 14:6
6. Since it’s Thanksgiving, this would be a good day to start a new habit. Start keeping a record of your blessings for each day. A simple notebook or calendar would do, just something to list your blessings for the day. It’s good to focus on your blessings versus what foods you are eating or not eating. I rather be keeping count of my blessings, not calories or carbs. Wouldn’t you?
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. I Corinthians 15:57
7. Last of all – Sing. Yep, that’s right. Sing. Have you ever tried to sing with your mouth full. It doesn’t work. At least I’ve not been successful at singing while eating. Did you know that evil thoughts won’t linger if you’re singing praises to God? Try it, see for yourself. Also a little happy dancing won’t hurt either. I haven’t be able to dance and eat at the same time, but then I haven’t tried it yet. Have you? Let me know how it went. Let me know how you ate your Thanksgiving feast. How did that self-control work for ya’ll? How did God-control work for ya’ll?
You have turned my mourning into dancing for me; You have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy. That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever. Psalm 30:11,12 AMP
We should sing, dance, and praise God every day, not just one day a year. Have a wonderful blessed Thanksgiving Day. Eat For God’s glory. God’s Blessings to you all,
Deborah, Seeking God’s Direction, Psalm 32:8
CHECK OUT THESE CYBER SALES
Since this blog is now monetized, you’ll see advertisements. I’ll try to place them so they don’t interfere with the true message of this blog.
Note: I do receive a small commission (+/- 10%) for allowing these retailers to advertise on this blog.
I ordered from these and got the Black Friday Specials.
Getting ahead, you know. At least I’m making commission on my own purchases.
Just click on the links below to check out the deals. Several offer free shipping with minimum purchase.
Just ordered more presents, being shipped to the house. Ain’t it great and I’m still in my PJ’s too. Think I’m falling in love with the convenience of online shopping at JCPenney . It’s all being delivered. How easy can that be.
Overstock.com Just ordered some more presents for Christmas.
ASICS We can all use more shoes, but I didn’t order any today.
Macy’s Expecting my order to come in soon.